St Martin’s Theatre on West Street is home to the longest-running play in the world – The Mousetrap by Agatha Christie.
St Martin’s Theatre was designed by W.G.R. Sprague and originally intended to be one of a pair with the adjacent Ambassadors Theatre which opened in 1913. The St Martin’s debut was delayed by the outbreak of the WWI, so the first performance of Houpla took place on 23 November 1916.
The theatre is home to the longest running play in the world, The Mousetrap by Agatha Christie. It transferred from the Ambassadors Theatre after 21 years in 1974 without missing a performance and celebrated its 60th birthday in 2012. The theatre has undergone a complete refurbishment inside and out with a replica of the 1916 canopy being replaced in 1998.